- 2311 Science and Engineering Complex (SEC)
- Postdoctoral Research, University of Wisconsin - Madison
- PhD, Cell and Molecular Biology, University of Strasbourg, 2011
The Chtarbanova lab is interested in studying the molecular mechanisms and cellular pathways that underlie brain immune reactions and age-dependent changes of immunity using the fruit fly Drosophila as an experimental model.
Our research aims at understanding (i) the triggers and causes of inflammaging (low-grade chronic inflammation that accompanies aging), (ii) the consequences of elevated immune activation in the brain and (iii) how the brain responds to infectious injury in order to preserve neuronal integrity and function. Moreover, we are also looking to (iv) identify novel age-dependent factors of the innate immune response following infection with bacteria and viruses.
- Sciambra N & Chtarbanova S. The Impact of Age on Response to Infection in Drosophila. Microorganisms. 2021; 9(5):958. https://doi.org/10.3390/microorganisms9050958 (2021).
- Sheffield L, Sciambra N, Evans A, Hagedorn E, Goltz C, Delfeld M, Kuhns H, Fierst J & Chtarbanova S. Age-dependent impairment of disease tolerance is associated with a robust transcriptional response following RNA virus infection in Drosophila. G3 Genes|Genomes|Genetics, 2021; jkab116, doi: https://doi.org/10.1093/g3journal/jkab116 (2021).
- Bolus H, Crocker K, Boekhoff-Falk G & Chtarbanova S. Modeling Neurodegenerative Disorders in Drosophila melanogaster. Int. J. Mol. Sci. (2020), 21, 3055.
- Gevedon O, Bolus H, Lye SH, Schmitz K, Fuentes-González J, Hatchell K, Bley L, Pienaar J, Loewen C & Chtarbanova S. In vivo Forward Genetic Screen to Identify Novel Neuroprotective Genes in Drosophila melanogaster. J. Vis. Exp. (149), e59720, doi:10.3791/59720 (2019).
- Lye SH & Chtarbanova S. Drosophila as a Model to Study Brain Innate Immunity in Health and Disease. Int. J. Mol. Sci. (2018), 19, 3922.
- Loewen C, Boekhoff-Falk G, Ganetzky B & Chtarbanova S. A novel mutation in brain tumor Causes Both Neural over-Proliferation and Neurodegeneration in Adult Drosophila. G3 (Bethesda). (2018) Aug 20. pii: g3.200627.2018. doi: 10.1534/g3.118.200627.
- Kounatidis I*, Chtarbanova S*, Cao Y, Hayne M, Jayanth D, Ganetzky B & Ligoxygakis P. NF-κB immunity in the brain determines fly lifespan in healthy ageing and age-related neurodegeneration. Cell Rep. 2017 Apr 25;19(4):836-848. *Equal contribution.
- Katzenberger RJ, Chtarbanova S, Rimkus SA, Fischer JA, Kaur G, Seppala JM, Swanson LC, Zajac JE, Ganetzky B & Wassarman DA. Death following traumatic brain injury in Drosophila is associated with intestinal barrier dysfunction (2015). eLife. 10.7554/eLife.04790
- Chtarbanova S, Lamiable O, Lee KZ, Galiana D, Troxler L, Meignin C, Hetru C, Hoffmann JA, Daeffler L & Imler JL. Drosophila C virus systemic infection leads to intestinal obstruction (2014). J Virol. Sep 24. pii: JVI.02320-14. Article selected as a JVI Spotlight Feature.
- Cao Y*, Chtarbanova S*, Petersen AJ & Ganetzky B. Dnr1 mutations cause neurodegeneration in Drosophila by activating the innate immune response in the brain (2013). Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. May 7; 110 (19): E1752-60. * Equal contribution. Article selected by the Faculty of 1000.
- Eleftherianos I, Won S, Chtarbanova S, Squiban B, Ocorr K, Bodmer R, Beutler B,Hoffmann JA & Imler JL. ATP-sensitive potassium channel (K(ATP))-dependent regulation of cardiotropic viral infections (2011). Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. Jul 19; 08 (29): 12024-9.