- (205) 348-1261
- 2098-A Bevill Building
- Postdoctoral Research, The National Socio-Environmental Synthesis Center, Virginia Tech
- PhD, Biological Systems Engineering, Virginia Tech, 2015
Our group’s goal is to improve the physical, chemical, and biological function of our water resources. Our research focuses on (i) examining fundamental (eco)hydrologic and biogeochemical processes, (ii) optimizing ecological engineering activities such as stream and wetland restoration, and (iii) improving watershed management practices. We work in systems that range from small, upland wetlands to large rivers, and we employ tools [and work with collaborators!] from across engineering, environmental science, and the social sciences.
- Jones CN, Nelson NG, Smith LL. 2019. Featured Collection Introduction: The Emerging Science of Aquatic Systems Connectivity I. Journal of American Water Resources Research DOI: 10.1111/1752-1688.12739
- Jones CN, Ameli AA, Neff BP, Evenson GR, McLaughlin DL, Golden HE, Lane CR. 2019. Modeling connectivity of non-floodplain wetlands: Insights, approaches, and recommendations. Journal of American Water Resources Research. DOI: 10.1111/1752-1688.12735.
- Schulte ML, McLaughlin DL, Wurster FC, Balentine K, Varner MJ, Aust WM, Stewart RD, Jones CN. 2019. Linking ecosystem function and hydrologic regime to inform restoration of a forested peatland. Journal of Environmental Management. DOI: 10.1016/j.jenvman.2018.12.042
- Pieper KJ, Tang M, Jones CN, Weiss S, Greene A, Mohsin H, Parks J, Edwards MA. 2018. Impact of road salt on water quality and corrosion in drinking water from private wells. Environmental Science and Technology. DOI: 10.1021/acs.est.8b04709
- Evenson GR, Jones CN, McLaughlin DL, Golden HE, Lane CR, Devries B, Alexander LC, McCarty GW, Sharifi A. 2018. A watershed-scale model for depressional wetland-rich landscapes. Journal of Hydrology X. DOI: 10.1016/j.hydroa.2018.10.002
- Keys TA, Govenor H, Jones CN, Hession WC, Hester ET, Scott DT. 2018. Effects of large wood on floodplain connectivity in a headwater Mid-Atlantic stream. 2018. Ecological Engineering DOI: 10.1016/j.ecoleng.2018.05.007
- Jones CN, McLaughlin DL, Henson KA, Kaplan DA. 2018. From salamanders to greenhouse gases: Does upland management affect wetland functions? Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment DOI: 10.1002/fee.1744
- Jones CN, Evenson GR, McLaughlin DL, Vanderhoof MK, Lang MW, McCarty GW, Golden HE, Lane CR, Alexander LC. 2018. Estimating restorable wetland water storage at landscape scales. Hydrological Processes DOI: 10.1002/hyp.11405
- Golden HE, Creed IF, Ali G, Basu NB, Neff BP, Rains MC, Mclaughlin DL, Alexander LC, Ameli AA, Christensen JR, Evenson GR, Jones CN, Lane CR, Lang M. 2017. Integrating geographically isolated wetlands into land management decisions. Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment DOI: 10.1002/fee.1504
- Jones CN, Scott DT, Guth C, Hester ET, Hession WC. 2015. Seasonal variation in floodplain biogeochemical processing in a restored headwater stream. Environmental Science and Technology DOI: 10.1021/acs.est.5b02426