G. Milton Ward
Curator of Insects, Alabama Museum of Natural History
- (205) 348-1796
- 305/338 Mary Harmon Bryant Hall
Stream/river and wetland ecology- Research activities involve study of the processes through which stream and wetland ecosystems acquire, store, process, and export dissolved and particulate organic matter. The processes investigated are organic matter loading (litter fall, hydrologic import), microbial decomposition, leaf litter consumption by herbivorous and detritivorous insects, and hydrologic export.
- Ward, G. Milton, A. K. Ward and A. Maistre. 2016. Hydrology and Water Quality in the Mobile-Tensaw Delta. pp. 19-25, in Waselkov G. A., C. F. Andrus, and G. E. Plumb, editors. A state of knowledge of the natural, cultural, and economic resources of the Greater Mobile-Tensaw River Area. Natural Resource Report NPS/NRSS/BRD/ NRR—2016/1243. Biological Resources Division, National Park Service, Fort Collins, Colorado.
- Hwaseong Jin and G. M. Ward. 2013. Fine particulate organic matter transport dynamics in a small Coastal Plain stream: influence of hydrology and channel morphology. Aquatic Sciences 75: 483-492.
- Graves, P. H. and G. M. Ward. 2011. Mayfly and stonefly distribution in the mainstem of the Cahaba River, Alabama. Southeastern Naturalist 10:477-488.
- Cherry, Julia, A. K. Ward, and G. M. Ward. 2009. The dynamic nature of land-water interfaces: changes in structure and productivity along a water depth gradient in the Talladega Wetland Ecosystem. Verh. Internat. Verein. Limnol. 30(pt 6): 977-980.
- McGarvey, Daniel J. and G. M. Ward. 2008. Scale dependence in the species-discharge relationship for fishes of the southeastern U.S.A. Freshwater Biology 53: 2206-2219.
- Jin, Hwa-seong and G. M. Ward. 2006. Life history and secondary production of Glossosoma nigrior Banks (Trichoptera: Glossosomatidae) in two Alabama streams with contrasting geology. Hydrobiologia 575:245-258.
- Chaubey, I and G. M. Ward. 2006. Hydrologic Budget Analysis of a Small Natural Wetland in Southeast USA. Journal of Environmental Informatics 8(1): 10-21.
- Ward, G. M., Harris, P. M. and A. K. Ward. 2005. Gulf Coast Rivers of the Southeastern United States. pp. 124-178, in Benke, A. C. and C. E. Cushing (eds.). North American Rivers. Academic Press. NY.
- Jin, Hwa-Seong and G. M. Ward. 2005. Hydraulic characteristics of a small Coastal Plain stream of the Southeastern United States: Effects of hydrology and season. Hydrological Processes 19: 4147-4160.
- Benke, A. C., I. Chaubey, G. M. Ward, and E. L. Dunn. 2000. Flood pulse dynamics of an unregulated river-floodplain in the southeastern USA Coastal Plain. Ecology 81: 2730-2741.
- Benke, A. C., G. M. Ward, and T. R. Richardson. 1999. Beaver impounded wetlands of the Southeastern Coastal Plain: habitat specific composition and dynamics of invertebrates. pp. 217-246, In Batzer, D. P., R. B. Rader, and S. A. Wissenger (eds.) Invertebrates in freshwater wetlands of North America: Ecology and Management. John Wiley and Sons. NY. 1100 p.
- Ward, G. M., A. K. Ward, C. N. Dahm, and N. G. Aumen. 1994. Formation of organic and inorganic particles in aquatic ecosystems. pp. 45-73. IN: R. W Wotton (ed.), Biology of Particles in Aquatic Ecosystems, 2nd ed. Lewis Publishers.