Faculty in Biological Sciences carry out research in the following areas:
- Cellular and developmental biology: signal transduction, innate and acquired immunity, developmental genetics, evolution of developmental mechanisms.
- Microbiology: bacterial physiology, bacterial gene structure and function, virology.
- Animal physiology: behavioral endocrinology, comparative and integrative physiology.
- Molecular genetics: regulation of gene expression, genetics of complex traits, functional genomics, molecular toxicology, computational biology.
- Biochemistry: protein structure and function, bioremediation, metabolism.
- Neurobiology: models of human disease, regulation of neural function.
Faculty in this research area include:
GUY A. CALDWELL. Molecular and cell biology of neuronal signaling; Modeling human genetic disease using C. elegans.
KIM A. CALDWELL. Molecular and cell biology of neuronal signaling; Modeling human genetic disease using C. elegans.
STANISLAVA CHTARBANOVA-RUDLOFF. Drosophila innate immunity. Aging, neuroinflammation and neurodegeneration.
CAROL DUFFY. Herpes virus replication.
RYAN L. EARLEY. Animal behavior, behavioral ecology, behavioral neuroendocrinology in fish (freshwater, brackish, and marine) and reptiles.
JANNA FIERST. Evolutionary genetics, evolutionary theory, comparative genomics, bioinformatics.
ASMA HATOUM-ASLAN. Molecular biology of small RNA pathways that impact bacterial pathogenesis.
MATTHEW JENNY. Functional genomics and molecular toxicology. Evolution of transcription regulatory networks. Environmental and ecological genomics.
JEFF LOZIER. Insect molecular ecology, population genetics and evolution.
STEVAN MARCUS. Signal transduction, cell growth and morphogenesis in fission yeast Schizosaccharomyces pombe.
JANIS O’DONNELL. Regulation of pteridine synthesis and neural function in Drosophila.
JULIE OLSON. Marine microbial ecology.
MARTHA J. POWELL. Cell biology, substrate recognition and attachment of fungal and protistan spores.
KATRINA RAMONELL. Elucidation of defense signaling pathways in Arabidopsis.
LAURA REED. Evolutionary genomics and systems biology of complex disease in Drosophila.
STEPHEN SECOR. Vertebrate physiology.
PATRICIA SOBECKY. Environmental Microbiology, Bioremediation, Horizontal Gene Transfer, Microbial Pathogens, Plasmid Ecology.
EDWIN C. STEPHENSON. Drosophila developmental genetics. RNA localization during Drosophila oogenesis.
JOHN YODER. The evolution of morphological novelty.